One of my friends is nearing the end of his VMware vSphere 5 training course, it’s a 5 day course which work have funded in preparation for him to become their new on site virtualization expert (as they trial VMware for Windows and Linux virtualization). He was telling me all about the course, (he’s been really enjoying it) and is looking forward to expanding what they are doing with VMware at their company and building upon their legacy ESX farms. It was then that he leaned over and mentioned that he’d bought himself a MicroServer ‘you know those baby servers, my friend had got one and he put VMware on it and loved it, so I thought I’d get one so I could duplicate some of the stuff we did in the training and continue learning at home’.
It was at this point I wondered how cool would it be if when you booked your 5 day Fast TrackVMware course that instead of the usual DVD, the classroom training guide etc, you also got given your own free VMware approved MicroServer so that you can set up your own lab at home and continue the learning experience at home? None of the messing about with a laptop or a desktop at home, I get a VMware certified home training bundle with everything I need to being and continue my learning at home during and after I complete my course, the chance to brush up in preparations for my exams? My VCP or VCDX?
A box containing:
- HP Proliant MicroServer (they’re about £250 if you buy one here in the UK for one with a 250GB disk, some memory and dual core AMD processor – enough to play with)
- VMware on a USB key with maybe some text or help guides on it that you can read on your MicroServer/laptop?
- VMware introduction guide – loading the hypervisor and getting the server ready for your lab set up
- Some example tests and configurations to do – like building your first Linux or Windows virtual machine with step by step commands
- This could then be linked back to the VMware and VMTN sites so that you can communicate how you are using it, and continue again the learning and possibilities with your new home VMware lab.
- The course materials with everything else I need for the week?
It was just a thought and I wonder what HP/VMware think about it? Any thoughts?