The top ten reasons were put together over lunch and noted on my Blackberry, so even as I write them I suspect you might have more effective ways of putting the text together to get approval to attend or to justify your visit, regardless some initial thoughts from which you can build your case. Any thoughts, do get in touch.
So it’s HP Discover time again and it’s in Las Vegas in June, some colleagues and I have been talking about attending, one of my colleagues asked us over lunch how he could justify it with work, so in the interests of declaration we put this list together, they’re random and might need adjusted for your line of business or role:
- Keep up to date with HP trends, products and understand product or technical road-maps so you’re up to date with what is going on in the industry by visiting the keynotes.
- Ask those questions that you can’t ask through a support call by speaking to one of the analysts in the meeting center or solutions areas or drop by to speak with the business/technical teams at the booths
- Take part in an interactive demonstration at the different booths where you can see illustrations of the technology in place and understand how it could work in your environment, your business. Check out the latest HP products and solutions to see how they might help with your challenges or create opportunities for revenue or business empowerment.
- Join in with the interactive sessions and learn not only about the technology, but best practices, deployment and support techniques, how people are using the technology and how you might make it work for you on cloud, on virtualization amongst other things.
- Solve technical issues, understand how to deploy and use your technology more effectively, expand your connections and your horizons by talking with an industry expert, an analyst, a HP specialist and importantly a fellow customer – “you using this, great how did you over come this problem?”
- Discover what HP and their partners have to offer combining the best of HP and partner technologies, such as Fusion-IO with HP Proliant servers for high performance computing solutions or VMware on HP Blade Systems.
- Refresh your interest in technology, in the strategies, the opportunities and challenges ahead so that you’re thinking ahead of the curve rather than following it.
- Learn all about the HP Proliant G8 servers, their latest next generation of servers bringing and array of enhancements to system management, energy efficient and ease of deployment.
(Chris also highlighted to me that he might get a free pen – I agreed with this point but highlighted that might not assist with budget sign off for attendance.)
For the document then, the email for technical justification:
I would like to attend HP Discover which is in Las Vegas June, I appreciate there is a cost of attending such an event but I feel that it would be invaluable to my role in particular with (insert a key technology to your role virtualization for example). Additionally I am looking forward to observing and learning about the latest HP technologies and participating in the learning sessions they have and seeing how the HP Cloud offering could be used in our business.
For the document then, the email for business justification
I would like to attend the HP Discover event which is in Las Vegas, June. I appreciate that there is a cost of attending such an event but I feel it will represent good value by furthering our understanding of what HP has to offer to meet our business goals and create opportunities to enhance functionality and reduce operating costs for our line of business or application..