I had an issue at a client site where they had run the Proliant Support Pack (the driver pack) on their Compaq Proliant DL380 and when the server came back online, it was stuck in vga mode, 16 colours and would not allow the user to change the resolution. We did some more investigation and found that Remote Control Option, VNC and Symantec PC Anywhere were installed on the box, with one of them causing an issue – it’s on the HP Support forums, but this is the quick way to fix it.
- Stop and disable the remote management services (VNC/PC Anywhere/Remote Control Option) and reboot.
- The server will come up online in vga mode which is fine.
- Right click my computer and do manage
- Device manager
- Select the VGA driver and select the previous driver then reboot.
- Log in to the server and set the resolution you want 800×600 at 256 colours for example
- Set services you disabled to automatic and reboot.